Daily Health Tip: The ‘Outside’ Job of Skin Care
Your skin is much more than an outer surface for the world to see — it’s the largest organ of your body! Plus, it has a number of amazing responsibilities that you probably don’t think about on a daily basis:
- Protects your internal organs from injury and infection.
- Helps detoxify wastes through perspiration.
- Provides an important line of immune defense against infections — your healthy skin creates a barrier to viruses and bacteria.
- Protects you against extreme changes in temperature, through its thermoregulatory effect of controlling heat flow between you and your environment.
- Produces and stores vitamin D, which is important to your immune system.
Rich in receptors, it allows you to sense conditions around you — like hard/soft and hot/cold — and send information to your brain so you can react to it for self-preservation.
- Protects your body from sunburns.
- Protects you from dehydration.
The loss of any of these functions will compromise your best health — and can accelerate signs of normal aging. Put simply, your skin plays a major role in your health, so take care of it with natural & organic skin and body care.